GEORGIAN MILITARY ROAD

The Georgian Military Road, also known as The Georgian Military Highway runs between Tbilisi (capital city of Georgia) and Vladikavkaz (Russia) across the Great Caucasus Range reaching its highest point in the Jvari Pass (alt. 2395 m).

Known since antiquity the Georgian Military Road in its present form was begun by the Russian military in 1799.

After the Kingdom of Georgia was annexed by the Russian Empire in 1801, the Georgian Military Road was used to facilitate troop movements and communications playing an important role in the economic development of Transcaucasia and during the Russian-Circassian War.

Georgia broke diplomatic relations with Russia after the “Five Days War” in 2008 and subsequent recognition of the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia by Russia so, the border between Georgia and Russia is actually open only to CIS residents.